Medical Store is one of the institutions of the Ministry of Health Zanzibar responsible for promoting health care delivery by ensuring access to essential medicines and quality medical supplies needed to meet the needs of the people of Zanzibar through health centers, territories, regions, and appeals. Before 2011, the medical store was a unit under the Chief Pharmacist. In addition to increasing the capacity of the Medical Store, in 2011 it was given the status of a Department with two warehouses in Maruhubi (Unguja) and Micheweni Pemba.
Currently, the Medical Store is responsible for receiving, storing and distributing essential drugs, medical devices, laboratory diagnostic and radiation diagnostic equipment, as well as supplies various information on the use of medicines for helping the Government provide appropriate decisions.
Medical Store has 4 divisions:-
- Customer service division.
- Quality Control Division (Quality Assurance)
- Procurement and medication management Division
- Division of administration and finance.
- The Medical Store is responsible for receiving medicines and medical supplies purchased by the government and various development partners.
- Supervise the storage and handling of medicines and medical supplies.
- Distribution of medicines and medical supplies to all health centers and hospitals in Unguja and Pemba is currently distributing Medicines and Medical Supplies to 190 government and Defense Awareness centers.
- Supervise the practice of medicine and medical supplies at all health centers and hospitals in Unguja and Pemba.
- Provide various training and guidance on the storage and handling of medicines and medical supplies to the district’s pharmacists and storekeeper in Health centers and hospitals.